The heart of Pecking Order, as announced a while back, is chicken marinated in Subido’s mom’s marinade (including soy sauce, sugar, garlic and vinegar), which you can order grilled, roasted or fried. Sides will include “Saucy Tots” which she describes as “a Filipino poutine” with tomato gravy over housemade tater tots, garlic rice, adobo-stuffed rice puffs, or housemade (by Mama Subido) pickles.” YES PLEASE.
To that signature lineup she’s now added a selection of sandwiches on pandesal bread, the primary bread of the Philippines, similar to Mexican bolillo rolls, with fillings such as chicken, housemade pate, pickles and fried egg. And she’s planning salads with brightly-flavored ingredients like mango, jicama, and calamansi (a Filipino citrus) dressing. There will be Halo Halo, the traditional fresh fruit and shaved ice dessert. Read on here. UH HUH.
Though the store is closing, the Pecking Order brand will now focus more on catering, pop-up dinners, special events and farmer’s markets, including the Low-Line Market outside the Southport Brown Line station every Thursday, and The Nosh, a lunch market Downtown every Thursday and Friday, where Pecking Order will appear every other Thursday. Read more here. OH NO.
WHAT GAWKER SAYS
Stuff like this:
Adam Richman, a man who eats sandwiches professionally, was scheduled to eat some other things professionally today as part of a new show called Man Finds Food. That’s no longer going to happen, because the Man vs. Food host started an Instagram flame war that culminated in his calling a woman a “c**t.” »
55. Elvis 26. Veal parm
54. Fat Darrell 25. Fried chicken
53. St. Paul sandwich 24. Lampredotto
52. Chow mein sandwich 23. Primanti Bros.
51. Tuna salad 22. The Gatsby
50. Roast beef 21. Caprese
49. Fluffernutter 20. Bacon, egg & cheese
48. Italian beef 19. Oyster po’ boy
47. Eggplant parm 18. Ice cream
46. Beef on weck 17. Peanut butter & jelly
45. Horseshoe 16. Cuban
44. Tuna melt 15. Shrimp po’ boy
43. Cheese 14. Club
42. Hot Brown 13. Pulled pork
41. Sloppy Joe 12. Kokoreç
40. Chip butty 11. The Dennis
39. Chicken salad 10. Cheesesteak
38. Ham 9. Chicken parm
37. Croque-monsieur 8. BLT
36. Croque-madame 7. Bánh mi
35. Turkey 6. Muffaletta
34. French Dip 5. Pilgrim
33. Corned beef 4. Porchetta
32. Steak 3. Lobster roll
31. Patty melt 2. Grilled cheese
30. Pastrami 1. Italian hoagie
28. Egg salad
WHAT I SAY
HEY WHAT ABOUT
My Pecking Order
1. Reuben, Hot Brown, French Dip, Cuban, Breaded Pork Tenderloin, New Jersey Sloppy Joe, Cheesesteak, Banh Mi, Italian Hoagie, Beef on Weck, Fried Perch, Grilled Cheese, BLT, Corned Beef with Cole Slaw and Russian Dressing, Primanti Bros, The Gatsby, Meatball, Egg Salad, Croque Monsieur and Madame, Porchetta, Lobster Roll, Muffaletta and Poor Boy.
2. Everything else.
Thanks to the Sublime Miss M for the aLeRt!